Sunday, December 21, 2008

LIGHTHOUSE 2911 Christmas Gifts

This week we at LIGHTHOUSE 2911 were fortunate enough to receive funds from churches and individuals to take our youth on a Christmas shopping spree. We told them they could buy anything they wanted within a certain price range. We told them it would have to be a positive present, no profanity or sexual inuendos on t-shirts, etc. The staff and I were not too sure how this would work, but we trusted in God and stepped out in faith. Oh, by the way, did I mention the smiles on the kids' faces while they were shopping? Some of these kids have very little to smile about and I guess, for me, that will make this the best Christmas ever. But let me continue the report.

As the kids were shopping, one or two past clients came to say hello and asked what we were doing. Of course, I had to invite them to shop with us also. I'm not sure if what I anticipated happened, but I was sort of hoping it would in some small way. Little did I know that it would happen to such a degree that it did. Youth would come drop a present in the basket and say, "This is for my mom, or my brother, or my friend." As I was walking the isles of the discount store, I heard one of them say, "If I could get this for my little brother, that would make me so happy just to know he would have a Christmas gift." Needless to say, I stepped to the isle they were on, and said, "Pick it up. We can't have your brother not happy this Christmas." Boy, it makes you feel good to see the joy in a hurting youth's face over a $12 or $15 gift item. As we checked out, we made sure that each child had a gift for themselves and whatever gift they wanted for their family member. One of the funniest things I noticed was that we came in with this purchase on budget, spending exactly what we had in mind. But more than that, our youth will be giving a gift or two to loved ones, letting them realize the Spirit of Christmas.

For all of you who donated, I just wish you could see the joy on the faces of these youth who received gifts because of your generosity. I hope you experience the joy of Christmas from these humble words. From the staff and me, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Merry Christmas to Everyone.
Paul Beard,
Executive Director

No comments: