Monday, September 28, 2009

Self Esteem

Self esteem is funny, isn't it? We all hope our self esteem is as our friends' and neighbors'. And I've noticed recently that we tend to gravitate to those friends and neighbors and family members whose self esteem is somewhere on the same scale of our self esteem. I've also noticed how uncomfortable we feel when we are confronted by someone whose self esteem is much higher than ours and how much better we feel when we are around someone whose self esteem is lower than ours. Wouldn't it be great if every day we would lift up someone whose self esteem is lower than ours? Oh, what a concept - giving a helping hand up instead of putting someone down. Wouln't it be great if we did that with our kids also? Wouldn't our self esteem rise to the occasion? Nothing seems to raise my self esteem like giving myself to someone else who is in need. Just something to think about -- makes me go, "Hmm."

No comments: